Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Chapter 06: Taco Mac Part II, Or Em Discerns her Part in the Game


“I have this book.”
Leave it to Em for the first words out of her mouth to be something like that. Then, a beat later, she quirks an eyebrow at me. “Did you…?” she asks, before trailing off.

“What do YOU think?” I ask.
“I’ve been trying to get you to read this for -”

“Ages,” I finish. “I know. Open up the back cover.”

Inside, written in gold ink, is a little message for her.
“I have this book.”

Leave it to Em for the first words out of her mouth to be something like that. Then, a beat later, she quirks an eyebrow at me. “Did you…?” she asks, before trailing off.

“What do YOU think?” I ask.

“I’ve been trying to get you to read this for -”

“Ages,” I finish. “I know. Open up the back cover.”

<3 Love, Jamie 


On top of that, there are five little blue envelopes tucked away inside the package, as well as a disposable camera. Anna and David are cracking up at Emily’s ever-increasing grin.

“This is so crazy,” she says, taking the envelopes and inspecting each one.



The first one
For Emily

My Adventure Co-Pilot
You have never been a great follower of rules. I know this.
It is, believe it or not, one of my favorite things about you. So it's going to be a little odd that the following will not only ask you to follow some rules, but follow them for an extended period of time. How extended are we talking? That's something you'll have to see for yourself.
Rule #1: Document your progress. Included is a pair of disposable standard cameras. You may, at your leisure, make use of digital photography just so long as it's something higher resolution than an iPhone camera.
Rule #2: You must not peek ahead. This is a Very Important Thing. I know that this is a lot to ask of someone who can't measure out her cotton candy intake, but I ask you to do this for the purposes of the game.
Rule 3: Complete the tasks in order. Do not be surprised if tasks take some legwork (or wheelwork, as it will) to accomplish. Do not be surprised if there is something of a stretch between tasks.
Got all that? Good.
Here, then, is your assignment.
This is a game in which you will achieve mastery of time and space. If it sounds like a tall order, you're simply not thinking forth-dimensionally enough. Think of this like your Jedi training. Think of this in terms of The Doctor and his companion. What you will achieve, however, will be something greater and more subtle. Curious? I hope so.
First, you must travel to a space in which you can access multiple worlds and lands. This "hub" world will be central to your adventure. You will not be able to complete the entire adventure at once. Your brain may be stretched somewhat.
It's all right. All part of achieving mastery of time and space.
The next part of the adventure awaits you at a place dubbed "The Cape May Cafe."
See you there.


 - The One Who Moves
"Cape May Cafe!" Emily bursts out. Except it sounds more like "Caymaycafe" when she's really excited.

“That part is not a surprise," I grin. "You planned the Cape May Cafe trip like a month ago.”

“I know,” she says. "But it's still awesome.”

I'll let her have that one. It'll come in handy later, for obfuscating the details of the unfolding plan. Remember, Emily is the Grand Master God-Emperor Champion of Ruining Surprises. I need all the help I can get.

“Sure it is, love. Sure it is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment